What better way to start your morning than with a little bit of sunshine?
My Sunny Side Portobello Mushrooms are super healthy and customizable just like an omelet – and they’re adorable! I like to season my portobellos with some spices, then put a layer of low-fat cheese before I top with my beautiful egg. Whatever your preferences are, have fun with it
• 3 large Portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
• 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
• 1/3 cup onion, chopped
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 3 oz low-fat shredded mozzarella
• 3 whole eggs
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees
• Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat foil with non-stick cooking spray. Place mushroom caps, bottom side up on foil and bake for approximately 15 min, or until tender when pierced with fork.
• In the meantime, spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, bell pepper, onion, seasoning blend, salt, and pepper. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until the veggies become tender and fragrant.
• When the caps are finishes baking, carefully remove from the oven. Evenly divide and spoon the veggie mixture onto the mushroom caps. (You will use your skillet to cook the eggs next). Next, divide the cheese and layer on top of the veggies. Put back in the oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly golden brown (cook more if you prefer your cheese browned further).
• While the cheese topped mushrooms are cooking, respray your skillet with non-stick cooking spray and carefully crack the eggs into the skillet to prepare your sunny side eggs. Cook your eggs until the whites are firm and the yolks reach your desired consistency.
• Carefully remove the mushroom caps from the oven and transfer to a serving plate. Place one egg on top of each mushroom cap. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired and/or garnish with some fresh herbs such as chives, dill, parsley (optional).
(Per portobello; recipe makes 3)
175 calories, 15g protein, 9g carbohydrates (4.5g fiber), 8.5g fat